On Wednesday, July 15, the NeuStyle Systems team reported persistent issues with the Microsoft Outlook desktop app. A 0xc0000005 Outlook error was causing the application to crash, meaning that millions of users were unable to compose, send, and receive email messages while working from the desktop.
Not wanting our clients to incur hundreds of labour hours in lost productivity, our Systems team took the following action to resolve the error while Microsoft rolled out a permanent fix.
- Step 1 – our team started with simple steps, utilizing known fixes for Outlook issues such as Run a ‘Quick Repair’ in the Programs and Features section of Windows 10 – the issue persisted, so further investigation was required.
- Step 2 – Next, the team ran Microsoft Outlook in Safe Mode by selecting > Run > ‘Outlook.exe /safemode’ > Outlook.
- Step 3 – Then the team disabled Outlook Add ons in Safe Mode. These Add ons have been known to crash Outlook. Still, the issue persists.
- Step 4 – Once basic steps failed a required search is needed for a new issue. The key to solving this issue was using proper google search terms and filters, then filtering down ‘Outlook crashes at launch solved fixed’ and placing a filter of ‘Past 24 hours / Past week’. This lead the Systems team to the proper results.
- Step 5 – Once the research was completed, a solution was formulated. The team would launch command prompt, run commands to roll back the update that had corrupted Outlook, and in the process this would repair users at our client sites who required their email immediately and contacts within Outlook.
The good news is that Microsoft rolled out a fix once reports of users issues were brought to the company’s attention. It appears that the error is resolved, as of the morning of July 16th.
Our Systems team’s quick thinking, technical expertise, and commitment to customer service prevented a Microsoft Outlook error from costing our clients a day’s worth of productivity.